Using Cisco's Aironet 350 with Zoom IG-4165

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Fri Jan 31 09:12:00 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Jurrie Overgoor wrote:
> I'm currently in the process of getting a RH 7.3 Linux box to communicate with
> a Zoom IG-4165 access point. The box is fitted with a Texas Instruments PCI1410
> Pc card Cardbus Controller and a Cisco Aironet 350 pcmcia card. I don't have
> that much expirience with wireless stuff, but I think I'm only one step away
> from communication...

I'm guessing, but I suspect you may need to set the ESSID explicitly,
like this:

    iwconfig eth0 essid your_network_name

It is possible to set up the PCMCIA scripts so this happens automatically.
I don't know if Red Hat 7.3 has a setup tool to do this for you.  Here's a
document I wrote for my local users on wireless setup (Windoze and Linux):

http://www.math.ucla.edu/computing/user_support/hardware/wiresetup.html

Once you're able to connect, I would recommend adding WEP.  Even though
there is a known exploit against it, it will make your life easier by
keeping out the local kids cutting out from school.

Hope this helps!

P.S. the "wireless-bounces+loginID=hostname" business is a transformation
provided by the mailing list software.  Each recipient gets the
return-path modified to include his own identity.  Presumably this has some
advantage such as keeping malformed replies from being echoed onto the
list.  Imagine if the "vacation" program replies to the list "I'm on
vacation"; you could get an infinite loop as it replies to itself over and
over.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)