Wep 40bit key

Craig Sanders cas at vicnet.net.au
Mon Feb 17 09:18:14 EST 2003

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 04:25:29AM +0000, Brad Brad wrote:
> Yes well i SSH tunnel everything using AES, however i'll take every bit of

good. you're using real encryption, so you don't need WEP...and since
you said that it's causing you problems, you can turn it off without any
worries.

> obstification that i can get :)  I live right next to a major road so i'm
> sure a few wardrivers have already noticed me, no wep might convince them
> to pull over.

i think you'll find that the opposite is true, that it would encourage
and invite attacks.

to a script-kiddie, using WEP just advertises "here's someone who thinks
WEP is useful - the network must be wide open".

> As with each level or security you add, its not perfect, but it
> hightens the level of "hacker" needed.

it doesn't. it's not secure at all. this "extra level" is no more use
than a layer of tissue-paper over a chainmail shirt would be.

> I'm sure my neibours could download a script-kiddy sniffer, doubt they
> could find an WEP cracker.

why not? many, if not most, sniffers have WEP cracking ability built in.
it's trivially easy to do.

craig

--
Craig Sanders