Wep 40bit key

Craig Sanders cas at vicnet.net.au
Sun Feb 16 12:24:17 EST 2003

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 06:00:27PM +0000, Brad Brad wrote:
> Hi, i've got my rebadged orinoco gold working fine unWEPed, however
> enabling WEP kills things.  I read that i can only have 40bit,
> aparently its key length is 5 chars though? my AP won't accept less
> than 10chars and calls that 64bit. from my understanding 64bit is
> 40bit + marketing? any ideas on whats happening there?  128 is also 13
> char verse 26 char btw.
>
> I'm currently using debian. when i used redhat it used wvlan_cs i
> could have 128bit key, i'm looking for that driver atm...

don't bother using WEP - even at 128 or 256 bits, all it gives you is a
false sense of security which is worse than no security at all.

if you need encryption then layer it over the top of the wireless link
with IPSEC or a VPN (e.g. vtun, tunnelv, ppp over ssh, or even MS pptp).

craig

--
Craig Sanders
Senior Systems Administrator