RH9.0 and Wireless

Jason Hecker jhecker at www.wireless.org.au
Mon Apr 14 17:38:36 EST 2003

In a nutshell, I didn't bother having any wireless device listed in the
Network Config control panel.

Make sure your wireless eth0 interface is down:

ip set dev eth0 down

then

iwconfig dev eth0 mode managed key xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx essid
"youressid"

then to bring it up and set the IP of eth0:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.x

Don't forget to set up your raoutes as you need them.

This worked.

I will look through the scripts tonight and hopefully post some diffs so
you can use the control panel utility.

Also, it breaks WEP by setting the $KEY variable wrong.  It always has a
"s:" prefix, even if you don't use a WEP key which breaks it.

I think the whole wireless part of their config setup and network
scripting is buggered.  Didn't anyone test this?!?!!  RH8.0 worked sweet!

At this poing

--
Cheers,
jASON