[SLE] Wireless PCMCIA

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Wed Oct 30 07:24:02 EST 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Richard Barr wrote:
> Jim, I am a newbie "to Linux", can you point me in the right direction in the
> context of "wireless".  I have googled and found some stuff.  What I am
> looking for specifically is drivers for a D-Link DWL-650+ pcmcia card.

Hmmm, maybe I see what the issue is.  This is a DWL-650+, not a DWL-650.
Do "cardctl ident" to find the ID strings, then edit
/etc/pcmcia/hermes.conf, copying the existing section for DWL-650 and
modifying as needed.  Or maybe a neater alternative is to produce your
own "dwl650+.conf" file (basename is arbitrary; it reads all *.conf
files).  In my case, "cardctl info" produces:

Socket 2:
  product info: "Dell", "TrueMobile 1150 Series PC Card", "Version 01.01", ""
  manfid: 0x0156, 0x0002
  function: 6 (network)

and my conf file looks like:

card "Dell TrueMobile 1150 Series PC Card"
  manfid 0x0156, 0x0002
  bind "orinoco_cs"

This makes the PCMCIA subsystem use the Orinoco driver suite for this
card (substitute wlan_ng if you're into that).  Then /etc/init.d/pcmcia
reload (or restart, to be paranoid).  Now let's hope that a "plus" card
doesn't have firmware that's so wierd that orinoco_cs can't deal with it.

Hope this helps.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)