hello! experience with 802.11x and extreme humidity?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Oct 14 08:59:47 EST 2002

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 09:10:19PM +0800, Chris Hill wrote:

> Why do you say that 2.4GHz is a resonance frequency of water?  It's not.
> For a basic starter, see :
> http://howthingswork.virginia.edu/microwave_ovens.html

I found this article quite interesting,
but very unconvincing on one point.
The author says
"Since leakage from these ovens
makes the radio spectrum near 2.45GHz unusable for communications,
the frequency was chosen in part because it would not interfere
with existing communication systems."

Both DECT phones and GSM phones use this frequency range
without apparent interference from microwave ovens.
I've never noticed any interference with WiFi from these ovens.

I've certainly always understood that 2.4GHz was alloted to ISM
because it was unsuitable for long-range wireless communication
on account of some interaction with something in the atmosphere.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: 00353-86-233 6090