hello! experience with 802.11x and extreme humidity?

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Mon Oct 14 09:01:04 EST 2002

>Both DECT phones and GSM phones use this frequency range without
apparent interference
>from microwave ovens. I've never noticed any interference with WiFi
from these ovens.

That is because these operate well off frequency.
	GSM:	900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
	DECT: 1880 MHz to 1900 MHz

	Microwave Oven: 2400 MHz
	Bluetooth: 2400 MHz
	802.11: 2400 MHz

The attenuation of water at 2400 MHz is higher than 900 MHz and 1800
MHz, but not too bad. There are absorbtion graphs that should be looked
at and you will see that until the higher absorbtion frequency.

There should be no interference between microwave ovens and 802.11 since
the oven is supposed to contain all the radiation. But it will
interfere. So will bluetooth. Bluetooth is worse (and I believe should
be banned :-)...

As for why 2.4 GHz... Well, the argument that 433 MHz cannot support
large range communications is false, and it is also ISM. There are ISM
bands all over the place, there fore various applications. 2.4 GHz was
the best for wireless lan since it provided the best trade off between
range and bandwidth.

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
Darryl at radio-active.net.au | www.radio-active.net.au