hello! experience with 802.11x and extreme humidity?

Chris Hill chris.hill at crhtelnet.com.au
Sun Oct 13 23:10:19 EST 2002

Hi Armin,

Why do you say that 2.4GHz is a resonance frequency of water?  It's not.

For a basic starter, see :

http://howthingswork.virginia.edu/microwave_ovens.html

The first significant atmospheric attenuation peaks that I'm aware of, are
at 22.2GHz and 183.3GHz, both caused by water vapour resonances.  Further
peaks at 60GHz and 120GHz are caused by resonances of molecular oxygen.

(See p. 696 of "Microwave Engineering", by David Pozar, ISBN 0-201-50418-9)

So, yes, a 2.4GHz signal is attenuated by atmospheric water content, but,
no, 2.4GHz is not a resonant frequency of water.

Hope this helps,

Chris

p.s  If you go to the above URL, will you be able to resist reproducing the
grape experiment?
http://www.pmichaud.com/grape/