hello! experience with 802.11x and extreme humidity?

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sun Oct 13 10:53:15 EST 2002

Ok, I don't have any real figures but from what I remember it should be too
bad. We had a wireless link stretching about 1km without LOS. The signal
level tended to vary by day or night by one or two points and when it rained
it dropped by 3 or 4. We didn't compensate for effects like heat causing
tuners to change frequency (slightly), heat expansion changing the joints or
the fact that higher wind tended to move the antenna around a bit.

Someone actually explianed it once on this list. Something like, yes, water
absorbes 2.4GHz really well, but water droplets or mist don't really count.
But rain landing on trees that happen to be in the way have a larger effect,

I don't remember exactly but as long as we had a reasonable clearance on the
signal level during the daytime, rain presented no problem. I don't recall
the effect of actual mist, but I don't think it mattered too much.

However, if you get *any* water into *any* of your cables, your signal will
be *severely* affected. So if it works fine until it rains once, that's your
problem.

Don't know about 5.6GHz.

Hope this helps,

--