AP scanning using Spectrum24 CF

Jesus Molina chus at cs.umd.edu
Fri Oct 11 06:02:24 EST 2002

Hello,

I am trying to use the AP scanning feature under Spectrum24 CF from
Symbol.
I am using RH8.0, kernel 2.4.18-14 patched to provide wireless extensions
v14, wireless tools v25.
I am using the driver created by Pavel Roskin. This driver uses the
orinoco drivers low level primitives. I patched the orinoco drivers
(hermes.c, orinoco.h and headers) with the morinoco patch, from Moustafa
Youssef (http://www.cs.umd.edu/~moustafa/morinoco/morinoco.html). My
orinoco card, which uses orinoco_cs with the same low level orinoco.o and
hermes.o detect all the AP without problems, by issuing
iwlist eth1 scanning

However, when I use my spectrum24 card, iwlist eth1 scanning returns a
lsit of Fake APs with random junk (incorrect essids, etc).
My first guess is that Spectrum24 Firmware (which is uploaded by the
driver every time) didnt support AP scanning. But using the latests
drivers on an XP machine showed all the access points, and the guy from
Symbol I talked to claims the feature is supported. The firmware
from the latest drivers for XP matches the ones Pavel uses in his linux
drivers,

Any suggestions? I have no clue why this feature doesnt work in the Symbol
card. Is there any way to debug where is the problem?
Is there any CF wireless cards whose linux drivers support AP scanning?
(with or without patching, but tested)

Thanks,

Jesus