Orinoco PCMCIA card giving TX errors

Martin Pot m.t.pot at ieee.org
Wed May 22 12:36:29 EST 2002

I'm getting the same problems with Enterasys RoamAbout wireless cards on
two PCs, and have pinpointed the cause of the problem as being NetStumbler.

I've experienced the problem on two PCs, a 486DX4/100 laptop, and a Dell
Optiplex GXi P166, both running RedHat 7.2, with the 2.4.18 kernel and
have tried both pcmcia-cs 3.1.33 (orinoco_cs 0.09b) and pcmcia-cs 3.1.34
beta (orinoco_cs 0.11b).

I'm using Enterasys 6.06 firmware, as the 6.04 firmware doesn't work under
linux.

The cards work fine in ad-hoc mode, until I run NetStumbler on a Win9x
laptop (also in ad-hoc mode), and stumble one of the cards in a linux box.

The card in the linux box then starts generating Tx timeouts, and keeps
resetting the card.  According to NetStumbler, the link drops out after
about 60 seconds, but can be re-established by pinging out thru the
wireless card on the linux box!

Does anyone know why NetStumbler is causing the card in the linux boxes to
drop out?

Cheers,
Martin.