Promiscuous strangeness with Prism II card + orinoco-0.11 driver

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Fri May 3 11:10:31 EST 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 04:44:25PM +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:

> > > Has anyone experienced similar problems?
> >
> > I haven't been able to reproduce it myself yet, but I've had lots of
> > bug reports of slow throughput.  It would have been even worse in the
> > 0.09 versions since these versions put the card into promiscuous mode
> > if there were any multicast addresses set (if the Intersil cards are
> > even capable of multicast reception I don't know how to set it up).
>
> One more piece of information:
>
> On the Prism based card multicasts frames are received even when not
> in promiscuous mode, and no multicast addresses were configured in the
> card by the driver.

Ah, well that's useful to know.  So the cards are essentially always
in ALLMULTI reception mode.

> This means that promiscuous mode is not needed to receive multicasts.
> So a simple workaround is just to disable promiscuous mode for this
> type of firmware.  But how would you distinguish between the buggy
> firmware and the not buggy one?

Well, at least I know I don't need to turn promiscuous mode on for
multicast reception, which should reduce the number of cases of this.

However there seems to be some evidence of missing ACKs even in
situations where I wouldn't expect we're currently putting the card in
promiscuous mode.