Promiscuous strangeness with Prism II card + orinoco-0.11 driver

Miklos Szeredi Miklos.Szeredi at eth.ericsson.se
Fri May 3 00:44:25 EST 2002

> > Has anyone experienced similar problems?
>
> I haven't been able to reproduce it myself yet, but I've had lots of
> bug reports of slow throughput.  It would have been even worse in the
> 0.09 versions since these versions put the card into promiscuous mode
> if there were any multicast addresses set (if the Intersil cards are
> even capable of multicast reception I don't know how to set it up).

One more piece of information:

On the Prism based card multicasts frames are received even when not
in promiscuous mode, and no multicast addresses were configured in the
card by the driver.

This means that promiscuous mode is not needed to receive multicasts.
So a simple workaround is just to disable promiscuous mode for this
type of firmware.  But how would you distinguish between the buggy
firmware and the not buggy one?

> Quite possibly.  Or it could just be that we don't understand how the
> firmware operates and we need to poke it differently somehow to make
> it generate acks.  The fact that they are generated if the card isn't
> in promiscuous mode does suggest a bug, though.
>
> I've not idea where you would report such a bug.  I suspect that
> Intersil won't actually care if they have a workaround in the Windows
> driver.

I've not yet tested with Windows.  Is there a way to put the card into
promiscuous mode under Windows?

Thanks,
Miklos