Wanted: wireless network card

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Wed Jun 26 14:32:39 EST 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 09:16:04PM -0700, Vic Berdin wrote:
> > Yes, the DWL-650H, unlike the DWL-650 uses Symbol
> > rather than Intersil
> > firmware.  We're still broken on this in 0.12, but
> > 0.12 does provide
> > the tools we need to finally fix the problems with
> > SYmbol firmware
> > thoroughly (I think).
> >
> > > The hostap driver didn't work for me, but I didn't
> > try very hard.
> >
> > It won't - it works specifically with Intersil
> > firmware.
> Hello David,
>
> >From your reply I take it that DWL-650H will not work
> with hostap driver unless Jouni considers supporting
> it. And I believe you. I also have a Symbol Spectrum24
> card and it does not work with hostap. Incidentally, I

That's right.  And supporting Symbol firmware on the hostap driver
would probably be a significant amount of work for Jouni.  For
starters he probably doesn't have the necessary programming
information for the Symbol firmware.

> also tried this card using orinoco drivers from
> pcmcia-cs-3.1.33 and 34. What happened is that the
> orinoco modules were raised, the device was raised,
> but I can't ping from any end. My "iwconfig" result
> for the device is:
>
> eth4 IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"SR3000"  Nickname:"SR3000"
>      Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412GHz  Access Point:
> 00:00:00:00:00:00
>      Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Sensitivity:0/3
>      RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=0 B
>      Encryption key:off
>      Power Management:off
>      Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:134/153  Noise
> level:134/153
>      Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0  invalid
> misc:0

What's your network setup?  What sort of AP do you have?

> Notice my AP address which is 00:00:00:00:00:00. What
> else can I do to make this card work? Btw, I'm using
> 2.2.19 and wireless_tools.23.tar.gz.

Gosh, I'm surprised it even compiles with 2.2.19.  This may be the
source of the trouble.