Help: eth1: IRQ handler is looping too much! Shutting down

'David Gibson' david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Mon Jun 17 13:21:36 EST 2002

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 10:46:56PM -0400, Joseph R. Skoler wrote:

> David Gison writes:
>
> > > When I issue "iwpriv eth1 monitor 1 1" dmesg appends:
> > >
> > > eth1: IRQ handler is looping too much! Shutting down.
> >
> > This means the driver is receiving way more interrupts than it could
> > reasonably expect.  It's basically a sanity test so that if something
> > goes wrong and the interrupt line is never deasserted, the whole
> > machine doesn't lock up inside the interrupt routine.
>
> Makes sense.
>
> > > Does the group think this looks like an IRQ conflict?  If
> > not, what then?
> >
> > It's possible - but the driver can share interrupts so to cause this
> > problem it would mean the other device is generating heaps of
> > interrupts.  Probably more likely is some misconfiguration of the
> > PCI<->PCMCIA bridge so that it always asserting the interrupt line.
>
> Physical misconfiguration -- i.e., dip switch/jumper setting?

Possibly, but more likely something in the PCMCIA subsystem that's
setting up the bridge incorrectly.  I don't know much about this area,
but I think different bridges act a bit differently with respect to
this, so there are sometimes problems.

> If not, where is the config stuff for the TI1410?

Like I say, I don't know this area at all well.  You could try
fiddling with the irq_mode parameter.