Advice sought: PC Cards and Galaxy Antennas...

Davis, Ron Ron.Davis at dva.gov.au
Mon Jul 15 17:53:57 EST 2002

Hi Folks

I want to add a wireless PC ethernet card to my TiVo Personal TV Recorder.
(see http://www.tivo.com/home.asp)

My home LAN currently consist of a basic 8 port 10/100Mb hub, 4 PC's running
a mix of Widows and Linux, and the TiVo which currently has an old ISA
Ethernet card.

I'm told that I need a PCMCIA 802.11b card running the Prism Chipset for the
TiVo, and also I need (unless I want to run with the case off the TiVo) a
card which can accept an external antenna.  Can anybody recommend such a
card which is available in Australia. Also, and please forgive my
newbie-ness, is there a Wireless Access Point I can simply plug into a spare
port on my hub so that any wireless equipped devices in the house can
participate in the existing LAN? Or do I have to get one of the WAPs which
connect to a desktop box via USB?  Any cluse on prices, or better still,
anybody got such things to sell?

Final question, I note several Canberra guys are (apparently) using old
Galaxy Antennas, are these the Satellite dishes or the Microwave ones? (I
have a Microwave one still on my roof from way back, it might be fun to join
in! (I'm in Woden, ACT))

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

Ron Davis

ron.davis at dva.gov.au