WAP 11 Power Consumption?

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Mon Jul 15 16:58:35 EST 2002

Added to the ability for an access point to act as a client of another
node is the ability to back to back two of these units, operating as a
dual-frequency repeater. The cable between the two units is just a
simple crossover Cat-5 ethernet cable.

You can use the fact that the access point that wireless-ly connects to
another access point looses it's ability to be a normal access point to
your advantage. If there are a couple of units, it is most likely that
one will be in a location where there is little chance of people using
it, and one will be in a location where there is a big chance. So make
the unit that is a normal Wireless Access Point in the least accessable.

For instance if you were putting in a link over a hill you may put two
units on the hill, and a unit on each end. Since a hill will usually
have a large area of coverage as compared to the units at each end, have
the units on the hill attach as clients of the units at the far ends.

This makes it basically impossible for people to use the units on top of
the hill as a repeater for their own use. If your desire is to do the
opposite, swap the ends.

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
Darryl at radio-active.net.au | www.radio-active.net.au