AP IP and Mobile Units IPs

Wu, Ben WuB at AUSTRALIA.Stortek.com
Wed Jan 23 14:10:42 EST 2002

Martijn,

You are dead right. For the AP to transfer data across two dissimilar media
(mediums?), with different MAC types, it will need to be at least a bridge,
or it could be a router (or even a firewall if you wanted).

But yeah, an AP will most probably behave as a bridge between wired and
wireless. Some bridge designes can use the same MAC address on both
interfaces, some can do one MAC address each. It all depends on the
implementation. They both work.

Since my AP is also a NAT router, it can do both bridging and routing, and
you can configure it various ways (it's an Orinoco AP-1000).

The way I have it currently set up is it bridges ethernet and NAT routes 56K
dial-up PPP. The bridge in mine is a transparent bridge, so I see the MAC
addresses of stations on the other side (100BaseT-802.11b), which the bridge
is forwarding to me on this side, etc etc.

Regards
Ben Wu