Interesting Quick Thought

Anthony Symons ant at sa.pracom.com.au
Mon Jan 21 12:11:57 EST 2002

What about the co-ax? TV is 75 Ohm, and Lan (and most radio apps) are
50ohm. Also TV co-ax is usually very low grade. As for the RF switch, Ive
seen people use a shielded relay (about $55) to switch so that when they
transmit on one radio it switches the aerial to the transmit section, and
then when they want to receive it would swap back to the receiving unit.
But, it probably a) wouldnt be fast enough, and b) would drop out the TV
on TX.

Also, recieving and transmitting are a different kettle of fish. For
transmitting you need a multiple of the wavelength. Preferable is exactly
one wave length, but if size is/isnt a contraint you can half it, and
probably double it, im not sure. 2.4ghz is pretty high frequency which
gives it a small wave length. I have seen someone hook up a low frequency
cordless phone to their tv aerial on a farm, get an SWR meter (tells you
how much of your signal is reflecting off the aerial and coming back at
your equiptment, which is bad) and then they trimmed the ends of their tv
aerial untill it had a good SWR. Apparently it worked pretty well.
But to take this approach with 2.4gz would require a very expensive SWR
meter, as prices go up with frequency.

Finally, Im not a ham, just a hobbyisit, and most of this comes from my cb
days, so if any ham knows better please correct me.

Ant