Interesting Quick Thought

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Sun Jan 20 21:12:44 EST 2002

G'Day
It is certainly possible for people to have antennas one one or many
frequencies. The problem is making the antenna usable at many
frequencies. A switch between frequencies of the antenna is called a
filter, or diplexer.
Invariably though the TV antenna needs to be pointed in the wrong
direction. Even if you do have all antennas pointed to an access point
at the source of the TV transmissions, things get worse since all users
are attempting to use the same access point.
Making a high gain antenna needed for 802.11 netwotking is also not easy
to build into a TV antenna - but it is possible.
Really though the main killer is the connection from the antenna to the
computer. This is where the major capital cost is. You cannot use normal
coax if the computer is where the WLAN box is. The best way is to put
the WLAN up the antenna, meaning USB or Ethernet. Of these USB is the
cheapest, can it should be possible to stick it up an antenna... 5m
booster cables are available for USB... And you can use 5 of them
together.
Really the solution is not to use an infrastructure... But ad-hoc
networking... I wrote a paper on this a few years back... Without
infrastrcuture you create a mesh and run things that way...
Of course when everyone starts using 802.11 it will become useless. That
is a promise. Just look at FRS radios in the USA running on 900 MHz...
Just try using one within a mile of Disneyland... You cant... The same
will happen to 802.11. I have been into Spread Spectrum networking since
1994, so I generally know what I am talking about....
Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
Darryl at radio-active.net.au | www.radio-active.net.au for domain names