Tx Error

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Mon Jan 14 09:54:48 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 01:39:30PM -0000, Nigel Jones wrote:

> > Jan 11 07:59:39 localhost kernel: eth0: Tx error (FID=041A)!
> > Jan 11 07:59:50 localhost kernel: eth0: Tx error (FID=05F1)!
>
> I should add that I AM using the adapter relatively successfully (I probably
> didn't make that clear), at least for DSL sharing at 512 kbps. There are
> occasional pauses/dropped packets though.

Yeah, known problem.  Prior to 0.09 we were waking up the Tx queue
much, *much* more aggressively than we should have been which led to
bad things.  Now that we're not, we do get Tx timeouts, but for most
people at least the link is more usable than before.

I do have some ideas on what's causing the timeouts but I'm still
investigating.