mini-PCI support for orinoco_cs

David Gibson dgibson at ozlabs.au.ibm.com
Fri Jan 4 10:59:51 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 10:22:19PM -0500, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> OK, so I'm really slow :). I'll hopefully be free most of this week,
> so I'll be able to respond more quickly.
>
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 05:56:51PM -0800, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 11:27:03PM -0800, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> > >
> > > I got linux_wlan working, but not with WEP, which I need at work. It
> > > also seemed finicky and refused to work at many points.
> >
> > 	Interesting.
> >
> > > I still get the "Channel out of range" error:
> > >
> > > Nov  9 22:53:48 samosa kernel: eth1: Channel out of range (0)!
> >
> > 	Seen that. Probably firmware issue.
>
> Any suggestion as to how the driver should be fixed? My understanding
> is that channel settings are unnecessary for Managed mode anyway.

Not really - it's essentially a cosmetic bug.  The firmware is giving
us a value for the current channel that we don't understand.  I can't
fix it until I know what it actually means.

> > > Also, when I set a WEP key, connectivity dies.
> >
> > 	Have you tried the tcpdump trick ?
> > 	Also, try to set all 4 keys with keys of the same length (I
> > use to have this workaround in the driver but David got rid of it).
> > 	I think I needed both those things to get it working...
>
> I tried tcpdump by itself, and that didn't work. Then I iwconfiged all
> the keys to the same value (and thus the same length), and WEP now
> works for me. Woohoo!

> Any suggestions for how to automate these fixes in the driver?

I thought I had reinstated the workaround for this bug.  Maybe
not.... which driver version are you using?

> > > One more oddity is that when I try to use dhcpcd to get an address, I
> > > get in syslog:
> > >
> > > Nov  9 22:55:55 samosa dhcpcd[508]: infinite IP address lease time. Exiting
> > >
> > > This doesn't happen when I use my orinoco wireless PCMCIA card.
> >
> > 	Weird.
>
> That didn't happen to me when I tried it this time, though I happen to
> be at another place with a different NAT router running DHCP right
> now. Now, I get:
>
> Dec 31 22:15:46 samosa dhcpcd[1613]: DHCP_NAK server response received
>
> dhcpcd is still running, though.

That is almost certainly not a driver problem.  A DHCP_NAK means that
you received a response from the dhcp server explicitly denying the
dhcp request.  This indicates a higher level configuration problem.
Check the logs on the dhcp server to see if it indicates why it is
denying the request.