mini-PCI support for orinoco_cs

Manoj Kasichainula manoj at io.com
Tue Jan 1 14:22:19 EST 2002

OK, so I'm really slow :). I'll hopefully be free most of this week,
so I'll be able to respond more quickly.

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 05:56:51PM -0800, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 11:27:03PM -0800, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> >
> > I got linux_wlan working, but not with WEP, which I need at work. It
> > also seemed finicky and refused to work at many points.
>
> 	Interesting.
>
> > I still get the "Channel out of range" error:
> >
> > Nov  9 22:53:48 samosa kernel: eth1: Channel out of range (0)!
>
> 	Seen that. Probably firmware issue.

Any suggestion as to how the driver should be fixed? My understanding
is that channel settings are unnecessary for Managed mode anyway.

> > Also, when I set a WEP key, connectivity dies.
>
> 	Have you tried the tcpdump trick ?
> 	Also, try to set all 4 keys with keys of the same length (I
> use to have this workaround in the driver but David got rid of it).
> 	I think I needed both those things to get it working...

I tried tcpdump by itself, and that didn't work. Then I iwconfiged all
the keys to the same value (and thus the same length), and WEP now
works for me. Woohoo!

Any suggestions for how to automate these fixes in the driver?

> > One more oddity is that when I try to use dhcpcd to get an address, I
> > get in syslog:
> >
> > Nov  9 22:55:55 samosa dhcpcd[508]: infinite IP address lease time. Exiting
> >
> > This doesn't happen when I use my orinoco wireless PCMCIA card.
>
> 	Weird.

That didn't happen to me when I tried it this time, though I happen to
be at another place with a different NAT router running DHCP right
now. Now, I get:

Dec 31 22:15:46 samosa dhcpcd[1613]: DHCP_NAK server response received

dhcpcd is still running, though.

The only substantive differences i can think of between now and then
are a new 2.4.17 kernel, and newer iwconfig.

Is there a newer version of the driver for me to try out? Any hope
that it'll get merged in with the main driver tree soon? :)

Thanks very much for your help.