wireless_tools >= 20 and kernel 2.0.x

Jean Tourrilhes jt at bougret.hpl.hp.com
Tue Feb 26 04:32:15 EST 2002

Giulio Orsero wrote :
> I'm using:
> - wireless_tools-23
> - kernel-2.0.39 (need to be on a floppy and 2.0.x is smaller than 2.2/2.4)
> - wireless ext v.9
> - wvlan_cs from pcmcia 3.1.31
>
> and it seems to work (I can set essid and wep).
>
> I had just to set DPRIVATE_HEADER (using a v.9 wireless.h) and adjust some
> #include; since I'm using uClibc I thought this was a normal include/lib
> problem.
>
> Then I read here
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html
> that wireless_tools >= 20 does not work with kernel  < 2.2.14.

	The dependancy is not so much on kernel version, but on
wireless extensions definition (wireless.h). I put it in term of
kernel version for simplicity, and because most people don't hack
their kernel. As you may have noticed, there is significant
differences between v8 and v9 which prevent compile.
	Both the tools, the kernel and the driver *must* be compiled
with the same version of wireless.h. If you did update the version in
the kernel header, you should be safe. You could even try to use more
recent version of wireless.h if you need...

	Regards,

	Jean