More on the Orinoco + XI-825 + StrongARM platform...

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sun Feb 24 16:31:22 EST 2002

>>>Looks like one of the all-too-numerous generic errors we're fighting
>>>at the moment :-(
>>>

>>Is there anywhere I can look to see what 'status 1' might mean?
>>I got over my fear of hacking drivers (hopefully that is a good
>>thing :))
>>

> Status 1 is a "retry error" which I believe means that the firmware
> has retransmitted the packet as many times as it's going to, hasn't
> gotten an acknowledgement, and so has given up.

I added some __packed__ attributes to some structures, and now I
rarely get this error above (and it works fine on the strongarm
w/out compiling with the compile hack!)

I still get shitty (200kbps) rates when transferring with both
adapters in 'auto' mode.  However, if I fix it at 11Mbps, it runs
at almost 900Mbps.

I walked my laptop out of range, however, and the cube started spitting
out this error:
eth1: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth1: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth1: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth1: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth1: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP
eth1: Error -110 writing Tx descriptor to BAP

The error was still spewing down the console after walking
the laptop back to the cube...

This seems to mean timeout...  So, I'm thinking that we
should probably reset or otherwise kick the *** out of
the chipset when this happens (or perhaps only when it happens
several times in a row...)

What do you think about the forced reset?  (And how would
you suggest doing it...I'll try it out..)

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>