Packet legal on UHF CB - Sort of

Justin T. Fanning Justin at futurecorp.co.uk
Fri Feb 22 10:11:26 EST 2002

Yes, every 6 - 9 months or so it would appear the ACA tinkers with
the CB class licence.  The wording was originally much more
restrictive, in that only "remote reporting" (or similar) devices
could be used, with "packet" deliberatly outlined as prohibited.  Now
the band has been opened up to any type of emission that fits within
the broader class licence specifications and a simple blanket duty
cycle limitation has been applied.

I'm not sure of any practical data use for this off the top of my head
except for perhaps a link heartbeat or some type of remote control
circuit to re-boot a crashed PC etc.

I think this is probably some type of ACA test.  The first relaxation
of the class licence wasn't abuse, so the ACA opened the regs a little
further.  If this isn't abuse, then perhaps they will remove the
duty-cycle restriction next.

JF

---