Packet legal on UHF CB - Sort of

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 22 09:32:02 EST 2002

Tony Langdon wrote:

> Hello Justin!
>
> 21 Feb 02 12:54, you wrote to All:
>
>  JF> Some people might be interested to learn the good people at the ACA
>  JF> have modified the CB Class licence to allow *all forms* of data on UHF
>  JF> channels 22 & 23, with one exception ... "a duty cycle of not more
>  JF> than 3 seconds in any period of 60 minutes" ... Well it's a start!  It
>  JF> use to read packet or similar was a prohibited emission.
>
> Hmm, might be enough for APRS, but that's about it. :)
>
> Tony, VK3JED

I'm pretty sure that this license change is to allow remote data logging
devices (weather stations, seismology, crop moisture etc. etc.) to send
back their data to home base ("ET, phone home"). Could also be used for
vehicle monitoring with GPS data logged up and bursted back every once
in a while.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.