random lockups with orinoco_cs on a prism2 chipset

kiss the sun and walk on air peter.royal at pobox.com
Tue Feb 5 12:39:16 EST 2002

I was experiencing random lockups on my laptop (toshiba tecra 8200)
with a built-in prism2 based 802.11b card.

I was initially using wvlan_cs, then I found out about orinoco_cs and
switched to it because it is the code-path moving forward. After
putting up with random lockups for a month or so my troubleshooting
led me to switching back to wvlan_cs. I have not had a random lockup
since.

I am using kernel 2.4.16, with pcmcia-cs 3.1.31-3 on a debian sid
system. This corresponds to orinoco_cs 0.08 and wvlan_cs 1.0.7.

When my machine locks, it locks hard, requiring a hard reset. I have
noticed that the lockups generally occur after the machine has been on
the wlan for 6-7 hours or so (roughly corresponding to the afternoon
while at work or sometime in the middle of the night at home). This
occurs regardless of the WEP state, as I have WEP enabled at work and
not at home. At home sometimes I'll find the machine locked in the
morning and a reboot brings it back find and it is okay until I leave
for work. At work, when it locks often times it will lock again within
an hour.

I realize that a report such as this gives very little to go on. My
question is thus, what can I do to troubleshoot this situation? Any
help is appreciated :)
-pete

--
(peter.royal|osi)@pobox.com - http://pobox.com/~osi