DWL-900AP+ External Mounting Environmentals ;-((

Grahame Kelly grahame at wildpossum.com
Sun Dec 29 22:22:04 EST 2002

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 09:41 pm, Craig Sanders wrote:

Hi  Craig.

> what voltage are you supplying to the CAT-5 for POE? it may be that as
> the wire's resistance increases due to heat, your voltage is dropping
> below what the dlink needs. e.g. if you're only supplying 5V DC, it may
> only be 3V by the time it gets up your mast...depending on how long your
> POE cable is.

I mounted the powerpak just under the roof line (for the experiments), so the
voltage would have been OK as the AP unit was only 05m above the roof line.

> the other reason is that AC power supplies are cheap - about $25 for a
> 12V @ 5A PS from jaycar....12V DC @ <2A was several times that price.

Iam currently designing/building a uP controlled Peltier Environment (for temp
control) and will be converting a 12V line to 5Vdc for the AP (with a local
LM317K/3A regulator) in the same container so power should not be a problem.
The uP will additionally monitor temps on the AP, Ext Heatsink and outside
ambient and report this and the PSU control data back via RS232 to my Linux
server. All together there will be Ethernet cable + 15Vdc/10A cable + 3 wire
RS232.

Thanks for the feed back.
Cheers.
Grahame.