DWL-900AP+ External Mounting Environmentals ;-((

Craig Sanders cas at vicnet.net.au
Sun Dec 29 21:41:19 EST 2002

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:30:34PM +1100, Grahame Kelly wrote:
> Initial tests worked well - until the sun came over the house(s)
> and while not directly in sunlight, the tempature raised to 32C
> internally caused the units to both fail within 2 mins.

what voltage are you supplying to the CAT-5 for POE? it may be that as
the wire's resistance increases due to heat, your voltage is dropping
below what the dlink needs. e.g. if you're only supplying 5V DC, it may
only be 3V by the time it gets up your mast...depending on how long your
POE cable is.

avoiding voltage drop was one of the reasons we decided to use 12V
AC and regulate it to DC (5V DC, IIRC) in the jiffy box for my dlink
AP.  AC loses less voltage over long cable runs.

the other reason is that AC power supplies are cheap - about $25 for a
12V @ 5A PS from jaycar....12V DC @ <2A was several times that price.

craig

--
Craig Sanders