WAP11

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Fri Dec 27 06:22:08 EST 2002

On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Irene, Victor (IITA) wrote:
> Pls Have you tried connecting to a Cisco AP with WAP11?

Yes, about a year ago I was using a Linksys WAP11 (Intersil firmware) and I
tested it with Cisco AP's (don't know the model) at work.  This was with
WinXP -- they require the use of a VPN product, and at that time there was
a problem with the Linux driver for it.  I got a download speed of 390-405
kbyte/sec (close to the max you can expect with 802.11b) and an upload
speed of 110 kbyte/sec.  I didn't do enough research to find out why upload
is slower than download on WinXP, but similar numbers were obtained with a
Dell Truemobile 1150 (Orinoco clone, Lucent-Agere firmware), so the finger
of blame may point to the WinXP protocol stack.

Best wishes supporting CGIAR's mission.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)