Non-working DWL-520

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sun Aug 11 13:13:24 EST 2002

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 07:07:22PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I've just been trying out a DWL-520 which I bought on eBay.
> It was sealed, but does not seem to be found
> either in Windows-2000 or Linux (lspci).
>
> Have there been problems with this card,
> or is there some reason why it is not listed by lspci?
>
> I tried the card in 2 computers;
> one had PCI-2.1 and the other PCI-2.0 .
> I wondered if one actually had to have PCI-2.2
> even to see the card?
>
> I notice that the terminal "legs" on the card
> are a little shorter than on most cards;
> and it seems seems significantly harder to "bed" properly.

Ah, I also found out not so long ago there's more to PCMCIA cards than meets
the eyes. First pitfall, there is CardBus vs PCMCIA. CardBus generally
doesn't work in non-CardBus computers. CardBus cards have a metal grounding
strip near the connector.

Secondly, 3.3v vs 5v. That's indicated by the little plastic bits on the
edge of the connector.

http://www.sycard.com/pcard_qa.html

Has the good stuff.

Hope this helps,