Orinoco testing + ARM (Byte-alignment problems, it seems)

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Apr 17 09:42:22 EST 2002

Pavel Roskin wrote:

> Hi, Ben!
>
> The orinoco driver works on ARM just fine.
>
>>So, it started working.  I'm not too sure why yet, (I made some
>>changes, but nothing that should have mattered).
>>
>>ping -f gets the driver into a funny state:
>>

> Not for me.

Have you done any lengthy tests...like 24hours+?  I had a .9 driver
working good enough to last for about 24 hours before screwing up,
I may have to revert back to that one.

>>eth1: Error -110 writing Tx desciptor to BAP
>>

> I'm getting this on ARM only with one particular card with Intersil
> firmware (ZCOMAX AirRunner/XI-300) and only once, when the card is
> inserted.  I haven't seen this message on i386, but I cannot test that
> card on i386 - it has a compact flash connector that's too thick for the
> PCMCIA adaptor.

Ugggh, I'm using a XI-800 or something like that CF card.
What CF cards have you had good luck with on ARM?

> Since the problem with the driver seems to show up differently, it's more
> likely to be a race than an alignment problem.

I'm beginning to think maybe tcpdump has alignment issues instead of
the driver.

> However, I've just discovered that "cardctl config" doesn't work on ARM
> because of the alignment issues (sizeof(config_info_t) is different in
> kernel and user space, which makes DS_GET_CONFIGURATION_INFO different).

It is my opinion that we should make all structs passed through ioctls
be 4-byte aligned with no implicit padding (make all padding explicit).

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>