help with D-Link DWL-650: a physical manifestation of

Steven Hanley sjh at wibble.net
Tue Sep 11 00:50:09 EST 2001

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 07:09:38AM -0700, Alex Deucher wrote:
> If you could, I'd appreciate it.  Also what is the
> proper method for passing the the ignore_cis_vcc
> option to the orinoco driver?  I've been adding the
> option to the module line ie: opts "ignore_cis_vcc".

why do you need that module option? (just curious)

in the /etc/pcmcia/config file I have

device "orinoco_cs"
  class "network" module "hermes", "orinoco", "orinoco_cs"

in the device driver definitions section near the top

then

card "D-Link DWL 650 802.11b Adapter"
  manfid 0x0156, 0x0002
  bind "orinoco_cs"

in the wireless network adapters section

I didnt bother trying to make the /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts do anything as it
doesnt seem to do it reliably so that the card will work, instead I have a
/etc/network/interfaces file (this is debian of course) with the following
entry

iface eth2 inet static
        noauto
        pre-up iwconfig eth2 essid wireless
        pre-up iwconfig eth2 freq 2.422GHz
        pre-up iwconfig eth2 rate 11M
        address 192.168.15.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.15.0
        broadcast 192.168.15.255
        up route del -net 192.168.15.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
        up route add -host 192.168.15.2 dev eth2
        up ciped-cb -o /etc/cipe/options.shiva
        down ifconfig cipcb0 down

although I dont know if it works or not as I have not rebooted in ages but
seem to remember doing iwconfig and ifconfig commands by hand at some stage.

as for passing the module paramater

you would have something like

device "orinoco_cs"
  class "network" module "hermes", "orinoco", "orinoco_cs"
  module "orinoco" opts "ignore_cis_vcc=1"

(the source code says this is a paramater of type int so you need to set it to
1 or 0 (defaults to 0)

        See You
            Steve

--