USB Orinoco Gold adapter driver for Linux?

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 28 21:24:18 EST 2001

Chris Rankin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am searching for a Linux-compatible USB 802.11b adapter, and so far
> the only USB driver I have discovered is for adapters which use the
> Intersil Prism II radio components AND the Intersil MAC chip. Finding
> hardware which uses both is proving problematic. However, there are
> obviously chipsets other than Intersil's, for example the Lucent
> chipset.
Can you provide more detail on the Intersil USB driver?
Also, there is pretty advanced work on the atmel devices support (such as the
dlink dwl-120). I am currently evaluating a Linux driver provided by Atmel.
Unfortunately it isn't all open source :(

> I discovered that the Orinoco USB adapter is really a PCMCIA card and
> a USB controller chip (the EZ-USB FX chip, CY7C64613). Seeing as there
> is already a Linux driver for the PCMCIA Orinoco card, are there any
> plans to make a USB version?
It would be trivial to provide the firmware download, but we'd need specs for
the USB to PCMCIA bridge functionality. Reverse engineering it would be very
ugly.

Brad