Wavelan problem - Error -19

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Mon Nov 19 14:16:07 EST 2001

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 07:27:54PM +0700, Artreyu wrote:
> I have 3 remote node and 1 Base Station using avaya pcmcia card and all of
> them using slackware 8.0 with kernel 2.4.13 with module orinoco_cs loaded.
> The problem I got is when the traffic is very heavy my card get dead and all
> the nodes could not transmit any data until I reset the card in Base Station
> (using iwpriv xxx card_reset).
>
> here are the error messages in my syslog
>
> Nov 16 18:52:41 vs-vwave-gw kernel: eth3: Error -19 transmitting packet
> Nov 16 18:52:41 vs-vwave-gw kernel: hermes @ 0x100: Card removed while
> issuing command.
> or these error messages:
> Nov 16 19:01:44 vs-vwave-gw kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth3: transmit timed
> out
> Nov 16 19:01:44 vs-vwave-gw kernel: eth3: Tx timeout! Resetting card.
> Nov 16 19:01:46 vs-vwave-gw kernel: eth3: Oversized frame received (53160
> bytes)
>
> and keep going for thousand of lines. until I send command "iwpriv xxx
> card_reset".
>
> and after about 36 hours of operation, my Linux box (base station) just hang
> and I have to reboot it.

There seems to be a problem with the firmware on these cards - under
high loads it falls over and the card needs a reset.  Currently we
don't correctly detect this situation and reset the card properly.
Jouni Malinen has recently done some work tracking down the problem,
but we don't have a really good fix yet.

> How do I fix this problems ?
>
> and is there any relation between error and "hidden transmitter" ?
> because each nodes could not ping the other node directly, except Base
> Station.
> they have to go through Base Station. (I set base station as Internet
> gateway and router).
> If I use Access Point does it will be solve the problem?

No, probably not.