intel 2011 vs. orinoco on Linux

Robert Lipe robertlipe at usa.net
Fri Nov 2 06:48:46 EST 2001

Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 12:25:45PM -0600, Robert Lipe wrote:
> > [ Please maintain cc to robertlipe at usa.net on replies since I'm not on
> > the list.   Thanx. ]
> >
> > I had tinkered quite a bit with the ESSID.   I optimized that out of my
> > query and that was unwise.   Sorry.
> >
> > After running the commands above, I see no substantial difference.
> >
> > EEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"linksys"  Nickname:"rjlaptop"
> >           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412GHz  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
> >           Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:0/3
> >           Retry limit:16   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=0 B
> >           Encryption key:off
> >           Power Management:off
> >           Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:134/153  Noise level:134/153
> >           Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0  invalid misc:0
>
> 	The driver did its job and set the ESSID in the card. Things
> seems to be sane, except that for some reason the card refuse to hook
> up to the Access Point (i.e. Access Point address remains 0). Hooking
> to the AP is quite low level (i.e. not involving the driver), so I
> suspect firmware issues.
> 	Did it ever work under Windows ?

It works under Windows.  It worked under RedHat 7.0 with the
Spectrum24_cs driver.

Is the channel selection automatic?  (Like a cordless fone that hunts the
"best" and locks on?)  My linksys is set for channel "6" and my attempts to
	iwconfig eth0 channel 6
are met with
	SIOCSIWFREQ: Operation not supported

I don't know the decoder ring to go from freqs to channel numbers in
case I need to manually intervene there.  Is there a table somewhere
where I can force them to match?

> 	If I remember well, you are using firmware 2.20. With this

Yes:
	"Looks like a Symbol firmware version [V2.20-01] (parsing to 22001)

> firmware, Power Management doesn't work and should be disabled by the
> driver. You can check that, a "iwconfig eth0 power on" should *not*
> enable Power Management.

Correct.  The command is silently accepted but does not change subsequent
output of iwconfig.

> 	Second thing to look at is "short preamble". You may play with
> the iwpriv command to enable/disable it.

Neither 'iwpriv eth0 set_preamble 0' nor 'iwpriv eth0 set_preamble 1'
force that WAP address to go non-zero.   Is there anything that has to be
done to kick it?   Intervening iwpriv eth0 force_resets didn't seem to
help.

> 	My 2.20 firware works perfectly with my Orinoco AP, so I would
> expect a firmware bug in your AP.

Changing from long preamble to short preamble in the WAP changed
nothing.  The firmware on the card presumably is the same when I was
running the other two OS combos.  It's in flash and not dynamically
squirted in by the driver, right?

Thanx for your help.   I'm still chasing.

RJL