intel 2011 vs. orinoco on Linux

Jean Tourrilhes jt at bougret.hpl.hp.com
Fri Nov 2 05:36:42 EST 2001

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 12:25:45PM -0600, Robert Lipe wrote:
> [ Please maintain cc to robertlipe at usa.net on replies since I'm not on
> the list.   Thanx. ]
>
> I had tinkered quite a bit with the ESSID.   I optimized that out of my
> query and that was unwise.   Sorry.
>
> After running the commands above, I see no substantial difference.
>
> EEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"linksys"  Nickname:"rjlaptop"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412GHz  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
>           Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:0/3
>           Retry limit:16   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=0 B
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:134/153  Noise level:134/153
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:0  invalid misc:0

	The driver did its job and set the ESSID in the card. Things
seems to be sane, except that for some reason the card refuse to hook
up to the Access Point (i.e. Access Point address remains 0). Hooking
to the AP is quite low level (i.e. not involving the driver), so I
suspect firmware issues.
	Did it ever work under Windows ?

> Additionally, the card never gets out of "slow blinking green led" mode
> and into "led indicates wan activity" mode.  Encryption is disabled on
> the router as well.
>
> >         Please also give us the content of /proc/interrupts to see if
> > irqs are properly delivered.
>
> (robertl) rjlaptop:/home/robertl
> $ cat /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>   0:      59820          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:       1764          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   3:         22          XT-PIC  orinoco_cs
>   5:       6753          XT-PIC  Maestro3(i)
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>  10:          0          XT-PIC  usb-uhci
>  11:          6          XT-PIC  O2 Micro, Inc. OZ6812 Cardbus Controller
>  12:       1176          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>  14:      25232          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:          2          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
> ERR:          0
>
> Interrupts are delivered, but they're coming in pretty slowly.

	Good. No problem there.

> I tried just setting an IP address (ifconfig eth0 address up) and doing
> a ping in the hopes that I could see the transmits on the wire of the LAN.
> No dice.   So it really looks like the card can't see the access point.
> Is there anything additional I can check?
>

> Thanx for the help.
> RJL

	If I remember well, you are using firmware 2.20. With this
firmware, Power Management doesn't work and should be disabled by the
driver. You can check that, a "iwconfig eth0 power on" should *not*
enable Power Management.
	Second thing to look at is "short preamble". You may play with
the iwpriv command to enable/disable it.
	My 2.20 firware works perfectly with my Orinoco AP, so I would
expect a firmware bug in your AP.

	Regards,

	Jean