Hello

Tony Langdon tlang at freeway.apana.org.au
Thu Nov 1 20:37:00 EST 2001

Hello Jamie!

01 Nov 01 16:07, you wrote to Tony Langdon:

 JL> Possibly. How has the Melbourne network been going ?

I think there's progress.  A few small clusters of nodes are now able to link
up, but I feel two things are needed, before it really gets rolling.  Firstly,
an increase by 100% in the number of nodes, to achieve critical mass, where the
average link length drops to a couple of km, and secondly, significant
reduction in the cost of the gear.

 JL> Some of the questions Tony raised about the state of
 JL> non-commercial wireless networks in Australia has lead me to wonder if
 JL> the wireless community will legitimise a little more and form an
 JL> association such as APANA became all of those years ago (hey, it got
 JL> me on the net for a while).
 JL>
 JL> If there was such an association, would it be big enough and ugly
 JL> enough to hold a carriers licence.

That may yet happen, who knows?

Tony, VK3JED

.. rust.  Needs tune up.