orinoco_cs insmod problems

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Mon Jul 30 11:26:05 EST 2001

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:09:42AM +1000, Anthony Wesley wrote:
> Brad Hards wrote:
> >
> > That Jeff Guy wrote:
> > >
> > > I use modprobe and I still get the same dependency failure. I had some
> > > problems compiling it as well, and had to add in some variable declarations
> > > that were missing (Is there a good place to get up-to-date source for
> > > this?).
> > This shouldn't be required. The most up to date source (that I know of) is a
> > current -ac kernel. Which kernel are you using?
>
> Actually the latest source is from David Gibsons page, but it has some
> syntax
> errors to be fixed before it compiles (tsk tsk - late night hacking
> again??)

Yeah, mea culpa, I fixed the bug but forgot to upload it to the
website.

>    ( www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson )
>
> Also the Makefile is not suitable for dropping ths source as-is into a
> 2.4.x
> kernel source tree, but a bit of inspection shows that it is easy enough
> mangle it into working.

Well, you shouldn't need to change the Makefile from the kernel for
anything since about 2.4.5 - it already includes the orinoco driver.

> I did not try to compile it standalone - I built it as part of a "make
> modules"
> kernel compile, and it all worked ok.

If you compile standalone you will need to copy all three modules into
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless, then run "depmod
-a" to update the dependency table, then use modprobe.  Or you can
load the 'hermes.o', 'orinoco.o' and 'orinoco_cs.o' modules in that
order.

--
David Gibson			| Microsoft: Making the easy things hard
david at gibson.dropbear.id.au	| and the hard things buggy