usb orinoco

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jul 29 20:35:53 EST 2001

Bill Still wrote:

> --- Brad Hards <bhards at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > You said that your device was a USB to PCMCIA
> > adapter, with a PCMCIA card
> > plugged in. Can you tell me what the chipset/chip in
> > the adapter is?
>
>         1 big chip 1 smaller chip.  Whole thing
> is called lucent technologies usb interface.
> Big chip is Cypress EZ-USB FX CY7C64613-128NC.
This is a programmable microcontroller. Typically it requires a firmware
download. The good news is that the firmware downloader code is already
written for a couple of other USB applications. The bad news is that the
vendor commands could be just about anything.

> Little chip is CY7C1399L.  The orinoco pcmcia
32Kx8 SRAM.
> card fits right in.  It's absolutely the same
> pcmcia card sold for pcmcia, pulling the card out
> of the usb interface and putting it into my
> pcmcia card works just like my other pcmcia
> orinococ cards.
So the device is probably a USB to PCMCIA bridge, possibly with some
limitations. If so, the Linux driver could be implemented as part of PCMCIA
infrastructure (e.g. as a peer to i82365 or tcic). This would probably allow
use of the existing orinoco/hermes driver without too many changes.

> >Who makes
> > the device (ideally, who's name is on the PCB,
> > rather than on the outside of
> > the box)?
>
>         lucent technolgies usb interface is
> printed on the circuit board but the chip says
> cypress.
I have just asked for some data on Lucent's enquiry web page. If anyone has a
proper contact at Lucent, what we need is the firmware image (although this
could probably be extracted from either the Windows driver, or from the device
after it has been loaded) and the USB vendor commands for the device with the
firmware image loaded. It is pretty unlikely that Cypress will have much
information - it doesn't seem to be one of their reference designs.

Brad