Please help!!continuation to prev email (newbie)

Rakesh Arora rake_arora at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 22 03:38:28 EST 2001

Hi,
      I still can't get it to work:( I tried setting
the essid using iwconfig and it won't do anything.
However it does allow me to set the nickname, mode
etc. I also edited my wireless.opts and restarted
pcmcia but that too was of no help either. I am using
the inbuilt pcmcia version 3.1.22. Do I need to
upgrade it to 3.1.29? My wireless.opts file looks like
this:

case "$ADDRESS" in
# Lucent Wavelan IEEE (+ Orinoco, RoamAbout and ELSA)
# Melco/Buffalo Networks WLI-PCM-L11
# Note : wvlan_cs driver only, and version 1.0.4+ for
encryption support
*,*,*,00:02:2D:*)
    INFO="Wavelan IEEE example (Lucent default
settings)"
    ESSID="1e8146"
    MODE="Managed"
#   KEY="s:e8146"
#   ESSID="Wavelan Network"

When I do iwconfig eth1, it lists my ESSID as "" and
AP as 00:00:00:00:00. Any ideas on how I can get this
to work.

Thanks a lot,
rakesh

 You have an old version of the wireless-tools.  The
segv happens after iwconfig has done its useful work,
so it can be ignored.

> I have made changes to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts to
> include the network name. It is:
> module "orinoco_cs" opts "network name=1e8146"

Don't use module options for this, instead use
"iwconfig eth1 essid
NAME" or you can set the ESSID in
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts.

> I tried 'iwconfig eth1 ap 00:02:2D:1E:81:46:' but it
> gave me an error. Do I need to make any changes to
> network.opts and wireless.opts? Please help.

The orinoco driver doesn't support the ap operation -
we have noinformation on how to program the card to
associate with a given AP by BSSID.  In most cases
setting the ESSID is sufficient.