Can someone compile this driver for me?

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Fri Dec 14 19:04:29 EST 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 05:32:23PM +1100, C0V3R wrote:
> Hey, I've been going crazy trying to get my wireless lan card working
> under linux, and have spent about 3 days trying to fscking compile the
> drivers & pcmcia contrib package, but it keeps failing and I dont know
> why or what to do. If anyone could PLEASE compile the driver;

What version of pcmcia?

> Errors (compiling pcmcia):
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:9: Warning: Ignoring changed section attributes for
> .modinfo
> make[1[: *** [cs.o] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2

That's just a warning (I get those messages too, they're harmless). What's
the actual error message?

> The kernel compiles and runs fine, but I don't know how to include the
> pcmcia stuff in the compilation and I cant get it to compile after
> runing make config, make all (as instructed).

Again, what version? 2.4 even has PCMCIA included (some of it anyway).

> The card I'm using is a netcomm smart wireless lan card, its the same as
> the one in the url I posted (same drivers). I believe its based on the
> Prism 1 chipset. BTW thats a 802.11 (not b) 2mbps DSSS card.

Have you looked up the Wireless HOWTO? Which driver does it say to use?

> I dont know if I had it in the wrong dir or exactly what the process is
> to compile it. Heres what I did.
> 	-Config'd and compiled 2.2.18
> 	-Decompresed the drivers in /usr/src
> 	-Decompressed the pcmcia package which was inside the driver
> 	pack-make config'd the pcmcia pack
> 	-make all'd the pcmcia pack (make failed)

The PCMCIA stuff should be separate from your kernel tree, although you do
need to tell it where your kernel source is.

> The netcomm site is near useless. The tectronic site has the same
> drivers as the ones that are on the netcomm cd, and the same manual.
> Im 99.9% sure they are correct, but that isnt my problem *yet* since I
> cant even compile :P

Post the actual error message please...

HTH,
--