wvlan_cs/orinoco_cs & linksys wap11 AP

kiss the sun and walk on air peter.royal at pobox.com
Fri Dec 14 08:57:21 EST 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 10:43:08PM +0100, Roger Larsson wrote:
> On Thursdayen den 13 December 2001 14.25, kiss the sun and walk on air wrote:
> > I am writing in reference to the potential problems in the message at
> > http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/wireless/2001-May/002499.html
> > relating to the linksys wap11 AP.
> >
> > I have an Intersil PRISM2 card built into my laptop (toshiba tecra
> > 8200), and it works fine with either the wvlan_cs or the orinoco_cs
> > drivers. I am currently using pcmcia-cs v3.1.29, which has orinoco_cs
> > v0.06a / orinoco 0.08a. I also observed the same problems using the kernel
> > 2.4.16 PCMCIA support which has orinoco_cs v0.08a.
> >
> > I move between two Linksys WAP11 APs, one at home and one at
> > work. Whenever I reach the other location I must always cycle the
> > power on the AP otherwise I get the 44:44:44:44:44:44 for the Access
> > Point under iwconfig. This is after a cold boot, I always shut down my
> > machine when moving between the office and home.

> Isn't this a situation where you should use
> # cardctl scheme home
> # cardctl scheme work
> To be able to specify different ESSID, etc...
> (The scheme name gets passed into wireless.opts)

Yes, that is what I do to change the ESSID, which works. I am unable
to set the frequency/channel with that, however. I get:

leela:/home/osi# iwconfig eth0 channel 8
SIOCSIWFREQ: Operation not supported

My procedure is currently, move to alternate location, power up, cycle
AP power, change scheme with cardctl. and it works. The cycle AP power
step is the one that needs to go :)
-pete

--
(peter.royal|osi)@pobox.com - http://pobox.com/~osi