Avaya/Orinoco Silver: NETDEV WATCHDOG: Tx timeout, reset card -- why?

Scott James saj at jumbotech.com
Mon Dec 10 15:59:24 EST 2001

I've been struggling to setup:
  Orinoco/Avaya Silver PC card (Prism2), with
  Lucent PCI PCMCIA adapter (i
  Mandrake 8.1 Kernel (2.4.8)
  pcmcia-cs latest (3.1.29)

/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
  [this creates eth2 with 'normal looking' values]

The original default was the wvlan_cs module which also gave me these
errors.
I finally configured the orinoco_cs module (with depmod) and still get the
WATCHDOG errors.

What is NETDEV WATCHDOG?  Why does it continue to reset my card every 5
seconds?
iwconfig and ipconfig give "real" values, but I still can't ping to an
external host.

I'm using two LAN adapters for internal LAN (eth0) and Cable modem (eth1),
both work fine.

thanks!
Scott James
saj at jumbotech.com