Strange Lucent stuff (Martijn van Oosterhout)

fad fad at fad.homeip.net
Mon Dec 10 09:06:08 EST 2001

> From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
> To: Wireless List <wireless at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: Strange Lucent stuff
>
> Got hold of some Orinoco wireless cards and put one in a windows laptop
and
> one in my linux laptop. Now I know that those cards support ad-hoc mode
> because linux can do it. Also, the included documentation for Mac and
MS-DOS
> explicitly say it. If somebody knows how to make windows go ad-hoc, let me
> know. (A google search seems to indicate editing the registry is
sufficient,
> is that correct? No program?).

Ive got a compaq card with is a rebadged lucent card, in win 95 98 2000, i
used the compaq configuration program, in win xp, it has wireless setup
stuff installed with the os,
i found a key called OwnerSID and it is set to my SID for my network
in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft

> Anyway, we set the windows machine to peer-to-peer mode, which sounds like
> it should be ad-hoc, but it's not. I'm not sure how it worked but we could
> ping eachother, even though we were both in *managed* mode and there was
no
> access point in the area. Running iwconfig on my laptop showed that it
> thought the windows laptop was the access point. Anyone know how this
works?
> (A google search shows other people seeing this, but no explanation...)
>
> Finally, in windows the orinoco card comes with some tools, including one
> that can do a link. Amazingly the link test works. My laptop showed up and
> it could get signal level values for it and everything. But *only* if it's
> *not* in promiscuous mode (tcpdump). Start tcpdump, the test stops
working,
> stop tcpdump, the test starts working again. Wierd huh?

mine works when i run tcpdump on my eth1 the wireless card, very strange,
ive found the linux drivers to be a bit odd sometimes, with reporting of
speed