Channel usage

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Thu Dec 6 14:23:14 EST 2001

"Reynolds, Alfred" wrote:

> Okay, I am going to take a long walk down a short jetty here, but doesn't
> the use of DSSS within the wireless lan cards mean that this isn't a major
> issue. The other base stations will raise the noise floor of the receiver
> but given the low powers and high rate chipping rates I suspect that the
> effects would be minimal.
>
> I would guess that when the IEEE designed the channels for 802.11 they did
> the calculations to make sure that a 1 channel separation provided enough
> attenuation on the base receiving frequency to remove any interference
> problems.

Thanks for this response, Alfred. Possibly, this is a good guess, although
it is possible that the channel separations were chosen to provide enough
resolution to move 802.11 gear away from other emitters in the ISM band,
such as cordless phones and other equipment, not necessarily to provide
adequate separation of discrete 802.11 channels. I am only guessing as well.

The other factor, pointed out in Tony Langdon's response, is that I am
using the same ESSID (and hence, chipping code) on all access points, so
it is possible that this will not help in keeping the noise floor low.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.