Getting the list of all ESSID in range in Linux?

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu Dec 6 11:23:26 EST 2001

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 10:14:33AM -0500, LEE, Yui-wah (Clement) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using Orinoco card on Linux, is there a way to get the list of all
> available ESSIDs in range?  I know I can get a single ESSID -- the
> currently associated one -- by SIOCGIWESSID, but I want to get all
> available in range.

I'm not entirely sure, but I seem to remember the ESSID appearing in the raw
tcpdump output of a wireless card. I'm not sure if that's before or after
filtering however.

Ofcourse, this would only pick up active networks on the same frequency...

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/