Getting the list of all ESSID in range in Linux?

LEE, Yui-wah (Clement) leecy at dnrc.bell-labs.com
Thu Dec 6 02:14:33 EST 2001

Hi,

Using Orinoco card on Linux, is there a way to get the list of all
available ESSIDs in range?  I know I can get a single ESSID -- the
currently associated one -- by SIOCGIWESSID, but I want to get all
available in range.

I looked at the source code of all three drivers: wvlan_cs,
wavelan2_cs, and orinoco_cs, it looks to me that the answer is "no" --
at least at the present moment.  On the other hand, on Windows
platform, this feature is supported.

Even the Linux wireless extension, as defined in <linux/wireless.h>
does not seem to define an API for that.

If this feature is not currently supported, is there any plan to
support it in the future?

Thanks!

Rgds,

Clement