ZoomAir 4100 PCMCIA card under Linux

Jon Knight J.P.Knight at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Aug 21 20:45:20 EST 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 mikeoldfield at gmx.net wrote:
> I have two ZoomAir 4100 PCMCIA cards (802.11b compliant, PrismII
> chipset), and I would like to setup one of them as an access point
> under Linux, the other as a normal client.

I don't know if you can set up the ZoomAir cards as an access point.
Certainly the Lucent/Buffalo (Hermes) cards I've used don't have access
point capability under Linux as I don't think Lucent ever released the
specs on how to get the cards into AP mode.

> Another disadvantage is that I cannot use iwconfig or
> /proc/net/wireless to read any link quality values or so. All these
> values are zero. Does anyone know why? Or how it could be changed?

Lots of the /proc/net/wireless stats only make sense if you are talking to
a single access point.  If you are in one of the ad-hoc modes then they
don't record any stats.

Tatty bye,

Jim'll